The 2nd Dimension

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Nabeshin interview

As a promotion for the US release of Negima Daicon Brother, afro-sporting director Shinichi Watanabe (aka Nabeshin) -- who is best known as the director of Excel Saga -- attended an event in his honor at the Alamo Drafthouse in Houston, Texas. Details on the event, video clips, and the full interview are available at ANN. Here are a few amusing nuggets though...

On directing comedy vs. drama:

The anime that are often said to be “good anime” is oftentimes serious and moving and they make you cry – those are the anime that people tend to say are “good”.

I do want to move the viewers, but what I emphasize is getting a laugh. Making the audiences laugh is in a way, moving them. Not sentimentally, but with laughter.

On his trademark red jacket:

I actually found this red jacket in a store, and I was thinking a blue shirt and yellow tie would go well with this. This guy Lupin the Third, though, stole my idea and is cosplaying as me. I saw some folks where I couldn't actually tell if they were dressed as me, or dressed as Lupin.

On his recent visit to NASA:

I made the afro popular in Chicago and Houston, so I wanted to send that signal into space. I thought they had a rocket here at NASA in Houston, but it turns out that's in Florida.

On his next city to visit in the US:

You know, I'm kind of full of Texas, but I'll visit anyplace you want!

No comments: