The 2nd Dimension

Monday, June 12, 2006

Viewing Journal: Fullmetal Alchemist (complete)

Series Overview
TV Broadcast Info
DVD Info

Rating:
Overall= B+
Story = A-
Video = B+
Audio = B

Journal

Way before I first saw Fullmetal Alchemist, I had heard about it through online forums and magazines. From what I read, the show sounded like it was going to be an instant classic; so needless to say, when I got a chance to watch it on Adult Swim, my expectations were set pretty high. I watched the first few episodes and although I really enjoyed it, I wouldn't have put it on my list of all-time greats.

The animation, and music worked well for the show. If there's one thing that I can say about Studio Bones, it's that they always seem to make consistently high quality animation that compliments a story without being distracting. The music was the same way.

So because the story had such high-quality visuals and music, and because it had such an original plot and colorful characters, I gradually got more and more into it.

Then in the fall of last year, I went to the Youmacon anime convention where I got to see a panel discussion with Vic Mignogna, who does the voice of Ed Elric in FMA. During the panel, he sang the praises for the show, and went on and on about how the ending was just so unbelievably shockining and oh my God we were just going to be blown away. So once again my expectations shot sky high, and I eagerly anticipated the series' climax and conclusion.

Well, the show did get better, and I actually was surprised by some of the twists it took. But once again, my expectations put somewhat of a damper on the whole experience. (Not that this is Vic's fault, I'm just saying...)

The last couple episodes included a good climactic showdown between all the key players, but it ended on a cliffhanger with a lot of questions left unanswered. As it turns out, the story is actually going to conclude in the FMA movie. So I gues I'll just have to wait to see what really happens to the Elic brothers when that is released on DVD (and potentially in theatres?) in September.

So regardless of all of my overblown expectations, I really did love FMA and look forward to seeing how the movie wraps things up. It was a solid show and I would definitely recommend to any anime fan.

No comments: