The 2nd Dimension

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Saw Evangelion on Adult Swim and...

So I caught the first episode of Evangelion on Adult Swim last Thursday (Oct. 20) and I have to say:

  1. Why in God's name didn't they show the platinum edition so it didn't show its age so much.
  2. The dub still sucks.
  3. I didn't catch any edits, but the first episode is pretty tame compared to the rest. I can't help but wonder if they are actually going to show the blood spurting out of Eva's head in episode 2.

I was cruising around the AnimeNation forum to guage people's reaction to the show and I realized that there is probably one big reason why modern fans aren't going to be as impressed with the show as I was when I first saw it. It's mainly because when I recieved the initial VHS of the show, I literally had no expectations. I got it for it for my birthday (or Christmas?) from my brother in 1996(?) and had never even heard of it before that. I was impressed -- but not extremely so -- with the first two episodes, but the more I watched, the more I was blown away. And by episode 16 (the one with the shadow angel -- forgive me for not remembering angel's name) I realized this was really something special.

But today the show has been hyped up so much that I can't imagine that anyone's expectations will be met. The only hope is for someone who's not a big anime fan and stumbles upon the show one night... We'll see how that works out.

Anyway, in my search for reactions I found a couple of interesting sites. The Eva Monkey is written by a guy doing an Evangelion Undergraduate Research Project. His site is filled with everything you never knew existed involving Eva. One of those items is the Eva comic. The comic itself is basically just one big in-joke for Eva fans, so you have to have seen the series and the movies to get it; but if you have, it can be pretty funny.

The next episode of Eva will air on Cartoon Network the night of October 27, at 12:30 am.

No comments: