The 2nd Dimension

Friday, March 31, 2006

Viewing Journal: Genshiken (complete)

Series Overview
DVD Info

(great; if you are an otaku, watch it...if you are not an otaku but know one, this may give you some insight)

I've read a lot of reviews that compare watching the Genshiken anime (as well as reading the original manga) to hanging out with a group of good friends. Now, to me, that sounds like some of the cheesiest cheese of a review that has ever been written about anything. But after having watched the show, I really have to admit that, cheese or no cheese, that is probably about as accurate a description as you can get. Seriously.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I don't personally know a lot of other anime/manga fans, so I guess I can't say that I have a lot of real-life reference material to go off of; but I don't think that matters. The thing that made this show feel more like a social engagement than a narrative is the fact that I (and probably most any fan out there) could find a lot to relate to in the characters. That deep, dark, hardcore otaku in me connected with a lot of members of the Genshiken group. The very fact that I don't have a lot of otaku comrades probably made the show that much more socially cathartic for me.

That aside though, the show is actually very well written. It's not chaotic, like some character-driven dramas can be. Each episode had a natural flow, but also had a good structure. And I've read some reviews that said the show didn't have a satisfactory ending, but I disagree. I thought it ended at as logical a point as you can have, with the torch being passed to the next generation of fan, sort of speak. Regardless, I heard that there is going to be a second season, and the US release of the manga has already passed the point where the anime ended. So there will be plenty of Genshiken to come anyway, which I am very thankful for.

No comments: